Respectful Rider Code of Conduct
Thank you for choosing Goldsboro-Wayne Transportation Authority (GWTA). The following guidelines will ensure all passengers and operators have a pleasant ride while using our services. Enjoy your ride!
For the safety of our passengers and our operators all GWTA vehicles are equipped with security cameras. Cameras monitor video and audio activity.
To Ensure a Safe and Comfortable Ride – General Guidelines for Riding (All GWTA Services)
- Passengers are responsible for carrying their own packages. Please limit any items to what you can carry yourself. In the event your items take up an additional seat you will be asked to pay the fare for the additional seat.
- GWTA is not responsible for any items left on the vehicles.
- Exact change is required. Operators cannot make change.
- Smoking, including e-cigarettes, is not allowed on any GWTA vehicles.
- Do not use profanity on GWTA vehicles.
- No disruptive behavior or abusive language will be permitted.
- Don’t be a litter bug.
- Shirt and shoes are required when riding.
Radios / Music Devices
Playing individual radios on vehicles distracts the driver and other passengers. For this reason headphones are required when listening to individual radios such as Ipods and MP3 players and electronic games on GWTA vehicles.
For Everyone’s Safety – Items Not Allowed on GWTA Vehicles
No items or conditions are permitted on board vehicles that may pose a health hazard for other passengers or transit staff. The following items are prohibited:
- Open cans, bottles or food
- Car batteries
- Gasoline, kerosene or any other flammable liquid
- Weapons, including but not limited to guns or knives
- Illegal drugs
- Open containers of alcohol
- Animals, other than service animals for the disabled
For Passengers’ Safety – Riding GWTA
- Stand away from the road to avoid traffic.
- Stay in well-lit areas.
- Wait until the vehicle comes to a complete stop before attempting to board.
- Take your seat as soon as possible.
- Do not change seats unless absolutely necessary.
- Children are not permitted to ride in strollers while on vehicles. Strollers must be closed and stowed safely while on board.
- Passengers who interfere with the safety or privacy of other riders or the safety or privacy of the operator will be suspended from riding.
- Never walk in front of a vehicle. Wait until the vehicle has pulled away so you can cross the road safely.
ADDITIONAL GUIDELINES FOR RIDING
Urban Fixed Route Bus Service (Bus)
- Arrival and departure times are approximate. Arrive at the bus stop at least five minutes prior to any posted time.
- Bus stops are identified with a bus stop sign. When waiting for the bus, stand at the nearest bus stop sign.
- Each bus is identified by the route name located on the front of the bus at the top.
- Stand in a visible location near the sign, and signal the operator when your bus approaches.
- Do not approach the bus until it has come to a complete stop.
- Enter the bus through the front door, allowing riders to exit first.
- If no seats are available, stand and hold on to the poles for stability. Please remember the seats in the front of the bus are reserved for senior citizens and passengers with disabilities.
- As the bus nears your stop, signal the operator by pulling the cord located near the windows. If you’re not sure where to depart, ask the operator to call out your stop.
Rural General Public Transportation (RGP), Dial-A-Ride (DAR) and Americans with Disabilities (ADA)
- If passengers forget to cancel trips, they will be charged a NO SHOW fee. Passengers will not be allowed to make a new reservation until the NO SHOW fee has been paid.
- Cancellations must be called in two hours prior to pick-up time, unless the pick-up time is before 7 a.m. For pick-up times before 7 a.m. you must call no later than 5 p.m. the day before.
- Passengers living within the city limits of Goldsboro must be ready one hour before the scheduled drop-off time. Passengers living in Wayne County (non-city limits of Goldsboro) must be ready two hours before the drop-off time. The operator can arrive any time within this window to pick passengers up.
- When the van arrives, passengers have three to five minutes to board.
- When making reservations, please inform the reservationist if you need a lift equipped vehicle and if you will be accompanied by an escort.